Meno 101 -

Ask a Doctor: "How do I find a menopause specialist?"

Dr. Somi Javaid shares her recommendations.

By Womaness Editors   1-Minute Read

Dr. Somi Javaid medical expert for Womaness

Welcome to ASK AN EXPERT, a series where we pose your real questions to our menopause experts for the answers you need. Have a question? Post it on The After Party, our private Facebook Group.


Your Question:

I love my OB/GYN—he delivered my babies—but he doesn't know much about menopause. I know I need to find a new doctor. How do I find a menopause specialist?”


The Answer:

From Dr. Somi Javaid, board-certified OB/GYN physician/surgeon & founder & Chief Medical Officer of HerMD: “First of all, you have to ask your doctor if they have menopause or sexual health experience. And if you're talking to your doctor about these intimate things and they have their hand on the doorknob, don't waste your time…run. Don't even bother bargaining because they're not comfortable with it.

There are two societies I recommend for finding a doctor. North American Menopause Society (NAMS) lists certified doctors and menopause specialists like myself. And there's also an organization called ISSWSH, which stands for the International Society for Women's Sexual Health.

These both feature providers who have all had additional training and truly have the passion and want to partner with you in your care."

Get More Answers 

Ask a Sex Therapist: "What type of lubricant should I use?"
Ask an OB/GYN: "Is it too late to start taking HRT at 60?"
Ask a Doctor: "What's with migraines in perimenopause?"

Disclaimer: This article is intended for informational purposes and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a physician. Womaness strives to share the knowledge and advice from our network of experts and our own research. We encourage you to make healthcare decisions in partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.